Home Ballpark Facility News

Like Shoot to Thrill - An AC/DC Tribute on Facebook!

An authentic tribute of AC/DC that covers the best of the Bon Scott era and the best of Brian Johnson's material

Who's Online?

We have 682 guests online

Atom RSS

feed-image Feed Entries
Facility News
Tiger Stadium Demolition Delayed PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 1
PoorBest 
Written by The Staff   
Wednesday, 27 September 2006 00:40
Tiger StadiumTiger Stadium's date with the wrecking ball will be delayed due to engineering and other studies, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said Monday. The cost to partially raze the historic ballpark is between $2 million to $5 million. The city plans to recoup part of the cost by selling portions of the stadium as memoribilla. As reported:
Over the summer, the city Economic Development Corp. approved hiring companies to evaluate how to dismantle the stadium and determine what steps should be taken to address environmentally sensitive substances, such as asbestos and lead-based paint, that had been used to paint older sections of the ballpark.

"There's a difference in having a historic dismantling versus demolition," Kilpatrick said. "It's a little more complicated."

The request for proposals from developers should be issued in a few months, he said.

After the stadium is partially razed, a mixed-use development of 150 condos atop 40-50 retail shops on the 8.5-acre site will sit in its place.

Plans are to "to maintain the original stadium entrance as a gateway and leave the baseball diamond as a park for Little League games and festivals."

(The Detroit News


 
DC Parking Structure Deal for Nats Fails PDF Print E-mail
Written by The Staff   
Friday, 22 September 2006 06:14

 Nationals Stadium with Miller's proposed parking structures

Miller's proposed parking and
mixed-use structures are shown
here just outside centerfield.

 The DCSEC announced Wednesday that Herbert S. Miller's planned mixed-use structures that would house parking for the new Nationals Stadium scheduled to open in 2008, had failed to reach an agreement on the financing terms by Wedneday's deadline. As reported, With Miller's plan off the table, commission officials are uncertain about how they will provide the required 1,225 parking spots for the Washington Nationals in time for the stadium's scheduled opening in April 2008.

"We are disappointed that Western hasn't accepted our fair and reasonable agreement for parking and development," said board member William N. Hall, head of the commission's baseball committee. "We are now considering all options to provide the parking and development for the baseball stadium, which is in the best interests of the city."

The dissolution of the Miller project could have far-reaching consequences on the entire baseball experience and the city's planned revival of the waterfront.

The Lerner Group, which owns the Nationals, has been concerned about the parking structure situation since purchasing the club in May.As Stan Kasten, the president of the Washington Nationals said in an interview with Baseball Prospectus, We don’t have a specific opinion on whether one scheme is better than another or not. All we care about is what is doable in the time left, and for the budget. And the particular schemes we saw for underground parking, everyone acknowledges can’t be done on time and on budget. We think our responsibility as stewards of this baseball team is to make sure the stadium is built on time, on budget and in a first-class manner and we are absolutely determined to help the people in this city who have never been involved in this process avoid the mistakes that would derail them from achieving those goals.

 (The Washington Post)

 
Metrodome May Have Scheduling Conflict PDF Print E-mail
Written by The Staff   
Thursday, 21 September 2006 03:34

TwinsIf the Twins have a post-season game on Oct. 8th in the Metrodome, the Vikings game against Detroit Lions may have to be moved. As the scenario plays out, if the Twins win the American League Central Division, which would give them home-field advantage in the division series, and a Game 5 of the division series were necessary, the game would fall on  Oct. 8th. 

The Twins have postseason scheduling priority according to their past lease agreement with the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, but that agreement expired in 2004.

As reported, "Vikings officials apparently are considering whether to challenge an agreement that gives the Twins priority in the Metrodome."

(The Minnesota Star Tribune

 
German Firm Awarded Construction Contract for New Yankee Stadium PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 3
PoorBest 
Written by The Staff   
Wednesday, 20 September 2006 07:29

New Yankee StadiumHochtief AG, the largest construction company in German was awarded the construction of the New Yankee Stadium today.  Turner Corporation, the US wing of Hochtief AG started work on the facility for developer Tishman Speyer.

As Bloomberg News reports, "It's a fantastic contract and we're happy to have it,'' Hochtief spokesman Christian Gerhardus said today. "It's always a great honor to do this type of project. Our U.S. subsidiary has the ability and the necessary knowledge.''

Hochtief and its subsidiaries have completed more than 500 sports venue projects over 40 years, including work at New York's Madison Square Garden sports and entertainment venue and the Flushing Meadows tennis complex. (Bloomberg News)

 
Q&A w/Dan Kenney of the Minnesota Ballpark Authority PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 1
PoorBest 
Written by The Staff   
Monday, 18 September 2006 17:11

New Twins Ballpark designDan Kenney, the executive director of the new Minnesota Ballpark Authority, conducted a Q&A with the Minnesota Star Tribune on Sunday the 17th. The man in charge of the construction of the new $522 million Twins Ballpark (renderings of which can be seen here) deals with questions that revolve around the bid schedule, naming rights, and public input, to name a few.

Excerpts are below and can be read in entirety in Ballpark: It's on track for opener in 2010:

Q. For most people, the next big question is when will they see construction start. Is there any possibility the stadium will not be ready for opening day 2010?

A. The preliminary schedules that have been developed show site activity starting in March of '07, and that's site clearance, you know, pulling up the asphalt ... and actual construction starting later in the summer -- July-August time frame. ... I would say at this point we appear to be on track to meet the legislative objective [2010 completion], but it's a big project.

Q. There has been much discussion of what the stadium will look like. Is this something that the Twins, working with their architect, will largely decide, as opposed to the county and the Ballpark Authority?

A. All along the way there's going to be, on the public side, input on decisions they're making because we've got a couple of issues. One is, again, how does the ballpark relate to where it's being built. 

 
Garage Plan for DC Stadium At Risk PDF Print E-mail
Written by The Staff   
Saturday, 16 September 2006 16:49

 Nationals Stadium with Miller's proposed parking structures

Miller's proposed parking and
mixed-use structures are shown
here just outside centerfield.

While construction of the new Nationals facility is currently on schedule to meet the projected completion date, the two parking structures just outside center field may not. Yesterday, the D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission (DCSEC), the govenment entity that is overseeing the construction of the $611 million facility on the Anacostia River in Near SE Washington, DC, delivered a contract to developer Herbert S. Miller that had a termination clause allowing for a buyout. Miller has planned to build two 13-story towers that would wrap the parking for the ballpark in mixed use development including a hotel, condos, restaurants and other development. As David Nakamura and Thomas Heath of the Washington Post report (Garage Plan for Stadium At Risk):
The contract includes a termination clause specifying that the commission would pay Miller $990,000 if the project fell through, said a government official who spoke on condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing. Miller has until Wednesday to sign the agreement, which would then require approval from Washington Nationals majority owner Theodore N. Lerner.

Lerner and his partners have strenuously opposed Miller's plan, saying they believe it would impede the plan to open the ballpark by March 2008. Under the stadium agreement, the Lerner group has the right to reject development plans on city-owned stadium land if it has reasonable concerns.

Several District government officials said it is unlikely that the owners would endorse the contract. In that case, the deal would be killed, and Miller would be paid the buyout fee, the city officials said. The $990,000 figure is just below the $1 million threshold that would require approval by the D.C. Council.

"We gave Mr. Miller the land disposition agreement today," commission board member William N. Hall said yesterday. He declined to disclose specifics. "It contains a fair and equitable termination provision. I would rather not get into more detail about it than that. We have done it expeditiously and expect an expeditious response."

The Lerner Group, who owns the Nationals, has been opposed to the grand design that was proposed by Miller and backed by Mayor Williams. D.C. Chief Financial Officer Natwar M. Gandhi also was critical of some aspects of the proposal.

The intial start date proposed for the project was September 5th.

 
Wolff: San Jose No Longer an Option for A's PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 1
PoorBest 
Written by The Staff   
Thursday, 31 August 2006 05:53

 Lew Wolff notified baseball boosters in San Jose yesterday that the A's are no longer considering San Jose as a relocation option. The announcement is the first time that a definative statement on relocation to San Jose has been made by Wolff.

As reported by Barry Witt of the San Jose Mercury News (Owner Gives Up on Moving A's to San Jose):

`It is not an option,'' Wolff declared of the prospects of moving the A's to San Jose, using his most blunt public language to date in a city that has pursued Major League Baseball for more than two decades. He is exploring a home for the team in Fremont.

Speaking to a morning gathering of about 180 San Jose Silicon Valley Chamber of Commerce members, Wolff ended speculation that he harbored hopes of altering baseball's territorial rules, which give the San Francisco Giants control of Santa Clara County. Wolff said he's tried to address the territorial rights issue for three years, both before and after he took control of the A's in 2005. But now he has given up.

``I can't tilt at this windmill anymore,'' he said, intimating that he had offered to buy out the Giants' interests but was rejected.

``It's not a matter of money with the Giants. I think it should be, but it isn't,'' he said.

The announcement of San Jose no longer being an option sets Fremont as the focus of any relocation within the region. Wolff has been in discussions with Cisco Systems to aqcuire property from them that would be suitable for a ballpark location. 

 
«StartPrev11121314151617NextEnd»

Page 17 of 17
 
Banner

Poll

Should MLB Force Jeffery Loria to Sell the Marlins?