Select the images above to see in larger view
Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) and Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM) announced that MLB.TV is now available in North America on the PlayStation3 (PS3), the first and only gaming console to stream live baseball games in High Definition (HD). According to Sony, the combination of the PS3 systemâ€™s technical capabilities and MLBAMâ€™s pioneering live high definition streaming technology provides the necessary infrastructure to make this platform partnership the industry benchmark for streaming live HD content to the home.
â€śMLB.com is the perfect partner to showcase the power and potential of PS3 as an in-home platform for all types of entertainment: games, TV, movies, original content and now, live, HD access to Americaâ€™s favorite pastime,â€ť said Jack Tretton, president and chief operating officer, SCEA. â€śWe are excited for our customers who donâ€™t live near their favorite team and can now see every game, and keep an eye on the rest of the league, too, as this season promises to include many record-breaking moments that they wonâ€™t want to miss.â€ť
â€śIn addition to desktops and laptops, which can be found in every American home, as well as mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets, this transaction represents another important distribution point for our fans to enjoy live baseball games via the Internet,â€ť said Kenny Gersh, senior vice president, business development, MLBAM.
With PS3 and PlayStation Network, MLB.TV subscribers receive a superior visual and interactive experience with an array of features built and designed exclusively for use in the PS3 ecosystem. Some of the features include:
- Home and Away Feeds â€“ Choose to watch either the home or away broadcast feed.
- Live Game DVR Functionality â€“ Use the live video overlay to pause and rewind live games or fast-forward back to live game action.
- Scrollable Linescore â€“ Go directly to any half-inning to watch only that portion of the game.
- MLB Scoreboard â€“ Scrollable league-wide scoreboard for each dayâ€™s games in three modes: Pre-game with scheduled starting pitchers; Live with up-to-the-minute game status; and Post-game with final pitching decisions and archived feed selection.
- Favorite Team Selection â€“ Pick a favorite team or teams to be featured first on the daily scoreboard.
- Calendar Schedule â€“ Scroll through the entire 2010 Major League Baseball schedule in calendar format or the user-designated favorite teamâ€™s schedule.
Recognizing PS3â€™s ability to process, stream and display live HD content, the MLB.TV offer is exclusive to PS3 owners and free to current MLB.TV subscribers who already own a PS3 system.
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey. He is available for hire or freelance. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
Follow The Biz of Baseball on Twitter
Follow the Business of Sports Network on Facebook