The Biz of Baseball will take on special graphics as part of the Business of
Sports Network Autism Awareness campaign throughout April
UPDATE (3/28): We are pleased to announce that we have added Larry Cancro, the Senior Vice President of Fenway Affairs for the Boston Red Sox. Who is also Chairman of Autism Speaks, New England and a Board member of Melmark, New England a school that specializes in autism and similar cognitive disabilities.
Starting on April 1, things will look a bit different here at The Biz of Baseball. But then, getting you to see things differently is part of the plan.
April marks the beginning of International Autism Awareness month. On Thursday, we will embark on our third annual Autism Awareness Campaign, with each site across the Business of Sports Network sporting special graphics and information about the developmental disorder.
This year we’re proud to announce that we have engaged a host of high-profile individuals and organizations in the campaign (see the list below). What we have asked them is simple: lend your name. In doing so, they recognize the need to spread autism awareness.
While the same content you have come to expect will be published across the sites, there will be occasional content focused on autism awareness. For one, there will be an interview with Shonda and Curt Schilling about how Asperger’s Syndrome has touched them personally through their son Grant. The interview will focus on the challenges they have faced, and touch on Shonda’s book The Best Kind of Different: Our Family's Journey with Asperger's Syndrome in which Curt writes the Forward (for more on the book, see here). We also are in touch with Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp for an interview. Kemp’s brother has autism and is an advocate in fundraising and awareness of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
As part of our efforts we have partnered with Autism Speaks. There will be links for those that wish to donate to their efforts, plus special content that Autism Speaks has provided to the Ad Council. I will also be writing a guest article for their blog, and they plan to promote our content.
Finally, we will be looking to you and the media for assistance. If you have a way to help spread the word – be it through a blog, mainstream outlet, radio, or television – a plug of any size would do wonders.
While the bulk of the information will be coming throughout April, we want to pass this along now:
1% or 1 in every 110 children has been diagnosed with autism, including 1 in 70 boys. This represents a staggering 57 percent increase from 2002 to 2006, and a 600 percent increase in just the past 20 years (source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC))
Below is a list of those that are lending their name to promoting autism awareness. If you are in the business of sports or entertainment and wish to assist, please contact us.
Populous (Stadium and Global Design)
Sports Management Worldwide
Triple-A Portland Beavers of the PCL
Portland Timbers FC of the USL, soon to be MLS
Oregon Sports Authority
Sports Business Radio
Sports and Entertainment Endorsers
- Matt Kemp (Outfielder, Los Angeles Dodgers)
- Peter Gammons (MLB Network, MLB.com, NESN)
- Chuck Armstrong (President, Seattle Mariners)
- Larry Cancro (Senior Vice President of Fenway Affairs for the Boston Red Sox. Also Chairman of Autism Speaks, New England. Board member Melmark, New England a school that specializes in autism and similar cognitive disabilities)
- Gordon Edes (ESPNBoston.com)
- Peter Abraham (Boston Globe)
- Chuck Greenberg (Pittsburgh sports attorney)
- Jim Duquette (Sirius/XM Radio MLB Home Plate, former GM Baltimore Orioles, New York Mets)
- David Kahn (President, Basketball Operations, Minnesota Timberwolves)
- Victor Rojas (Television play-by-play voice of the LA Angels, formerly with MLB Network)
- Will Carroll (Baseball Prospectus)
- Jesse Sanchez (MLB.com)
- Devon Teeple (Business of Sports Network)
- Jordan Kobritz (Business of Sports Network)
- Joe Tetreault (Business of Sports Network)
- Alyssa Milano (Television, screen and stage actor)
- Ken Rosenthal (FOXSports.com, MLB Network)
- Dave Sims (Television play-by-play commentator for the Seattle Mariners, radio play-by-play for Sunday Night Football on Westwood One, television play-by-play host for UFL on VERSUS)
- Joe Hamrahi (Baseball Daily Digest, Baseball Prospectus)
- Brent Gambill (Executive Producer, MLB Home Plate, Sirius/XM Radio)
- Dave Barr (Producer, Sports Talk With Bo Mattingly. KREB 1190 Fayetteville, KTTG ESPN 96.3 FM Ft. Smith, KABZ 103.7 FM Little Rock)
- Pat Courtney (MLB spokesperson)
- Mike Dilorenzo (NHL spokesperson)
- Jason Rosenberg (It’s About the Money, Stupid blog)
- Jason Collette (DockoftheRays.com)
- Todd Radom (Graphic artist, sports logo creator)
- Gary Armida (Full Count Pitch blog)
- Jeff Levine (Business of Sports Network)
- Pete Toms (Business of Sports Network)
We hope you will join us in these efforts starting next week.
Business of Sports Network
OTHER NEWS FROM THE BUSINESS OF SPORTS NETWORK
(BIZ OF HOCKEY)
(BUSINESS OF SPORTS NETWORK)
(BIZ OF FOOTBALL)
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey. He is available for hire or freelance. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
Follow The Biz of Baseball on Twitter
Follow the Business of Sports Network on Facebook