Joe Mauer of the
Twins voted "Hitter
of the Year"
MLB.com, the official Web site of Major League Baseball, announced today the results of online voting in its eighth annual This Year in Baseball Awards during a live hour-long video webcast from its New York City studios.Â The voting saw a record 12 million votes cast as the top players and moments from the 2009 season were chosen from 14 different categories, as well as a new honor, none of which were restricted to individual League affiliation.
â€śThese year-end awards are a privilege to present and have grown in importance, both in terms of fan participation and in how they are received by the winners,â€ť said Dinn Mann, Executive Vice President, Content, and Editor-in-Chief, MLB.com. â€śWe are grateful for every vote, and more, for the platform to celebrate greatness in baseball and to continue to identify ways to expand this significant, deserved recognition.â€ť
A complete list of 2009 winners is below:
- Hitter of the Year: Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins (.365, 28 HR, 96 RBIs)
- Starting Pitcher of the Year: Zack Greinke, Kansas City Royals (16-8, 2.16 ERA, 242 Ks)
- Closer of the Year: Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees (44 SV, 1.76 ERA)
- Setup Man of the Year: Jeremy Affeldt, San Francisco Giants (74 G, 1.73 ERA)
- Rookie of the Year: J.A. Happ, Philadelphia Phillies (12-4, 2.93 ERA)
- Manager of the Year: Jim Tracy, Colorado Rockies (92-70, NL Wild Card)
- Executive of the Year: Ruben Amaro Jr., Philadelphia Phillies (93-69, NL East champs)
- Defensive Player of the Year: Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston Red Sox (.994 FPCT)
- Unsung Star of the Year: Jayson Werth, Philadelphia Phillies (36 HR, 99 RBIs, 20 SB)
- Performance of the Year: Mark Buehrle, Chicago White Sox (Perfect game, 7/23)
- Play of the Year: Dewayne Wise, Chicago White Sox (Catch preserved perfect game, 7/23)
- Moment of the Year: Derek Jeter, New York Yankees (Passed Gehrig for NYY hits, 9/11)
- Postseason Moment of the Year: Johnny Damon, New York Yankees (WS Game 4)
- Oddity of the Year: Phillies fanatic (Dadâ€™s catch thrown back by daughter, 9/15)
A special, first-ever X-Factor of the Year was awarded to former Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Juan Pierre through a media-only vote by MLB.com editors, reporters and multimedia personnel.Â In 2010, this category will be added to the overall voting process.Â The 2010 This Year in Baseball Awards will include additional exciting enhancements to be unveiled at a later date.
Awards will be presented individually to this yearâ€™s winners in on-field pre-game ceremonies during the 2010 regular season.
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey. He is available for hire or freelance. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network.
Don't forget to register and log in on The Biz of Baseball site to get updates via your in-box, and see information only logged in members can see.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
Follow The Biz of Baseball on Twitter
Follow the Business of Sports Network on Facebook