Is this really Randy Wolf of the Dodgers?
As promos go, this may be the best yet at the Major League level.
The Los Angeles Dodgers will pay tribute to George Lucas’ “galaxy far, far away” with a special STAR WARS Night on Saturday, Oct. 3. Fans will have the opportunity to sit in a special My Town section - labeled Dodgertown, Star Wars: The Clone Wars - and receive a free T-shirt featuring Jedi Master Yoda. In addition, the themed evening will feature pre-game ceremonies, photo opportunities, and in-game elements including STAR WARS characters, trivia, clips, music, and more. The event will take place prior to and during the Dodgers’ 7:10 p.m. game with the National League West rival Colorado Rockies.
The STAR WARS festivities will start before the game with appearances by STAR WARS and Star Wars: The Clone Wars characters in Autograph Alley. The pre-game on-field ceremonies will include these characters, one of whom will also throw a ceremonial first pitch.
Dodgertown, Star Wars: The Clone Wars will be located in the Lower Reserve sections 56 and 60. All fans sitting in this section will receive the free T-shirt and enjoy unlimited ballpark favorites such as Dodger dogs, nachos, peanuts, popcorn, and soft drinks, as well as a STAR WARS themed menu including Cloneburgers with cheese, R2-BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, and Ice Sabers (popsicles). Group tickets for the section are $35 and individual seats are $45. Full details can be found at www.dodgers.com/starwars.
What should add to the merriment, fans are encouraged to dress in their own STAR WARS costumes to the event. In a case of easing back on security (but not too much) the Dodgers say that “for this special night only, are permitted to wear STAR WARS masks only in the My Town section,” adding, “No Lightsabers will be allowed inside Dodger Stadium.“ Will blasters be permitted?
Other activities include:
- Throughout the game, Star Wars: The Clone Wars video clips will be shown on DodgerVision
- Lucky fans will receive Star Wars: The Clone Wars gift packs.
- STAR WARS and Clone Wars characters will visit sections throughout the stadium, and;
- There will be STAR WARS themed music and trivia all game long.
Other “Star War/Dodgers” Trivia:
- The Dodgers regularly feature two STAR WARS themes during their home games. Set to the iconic STAR WARS main title theme, a video of Kirk Gibson’s dramatic home run in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series is often played to spark a ninth inning rally.
- In addition, the “Imperial March” is sometimes played underneath the public address announcer whenever an opposing teams’ lineup is introduced. Both themes were composed by Academy Award winner and noted baseball enthusiast John Williams.
And finally, the best bit of Dodgers/Star Wars trivia? Dodger pitcher Randy Wolf, an avid STAR WARS fan, has a life-sized Stormtrooper in his Hollywood home. No word on whether Wolf dresses up as Darth Vader.
OTHER NEWS FROM THE BUSINESS OF SPORTS NETWORK
(THE BIZ OF FOOTBALL)
(THE BIZ OF HOCKEY)
(THE BIZ OF BASKETBALL)
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey. He is available for hire or freelance. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network (select his name in the dropdown provided).
Don't forget to register and log in on The Biz of Baseball site to get updates via your in-box, and see information only logged in members can see.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
Follow The Biz of Baseball on Twitter
Follow the Business of Sports Network on Facebook