MLB.com announced today that it will launch the first online social community integration of the First-Year Player Draft by utilizing Twitter into its live interactive media experience, the MLB.com Draft Caster, beginning Tuesday, June 9. This additive feature will allow fans to watch Draft coverage live, including direct access to a searchable database of all eligible players, their biographical data, statistics, scouting reports and video, while offering the opportunity to connect and engage in Draft-related discussions with other fans, MLB.com reporters and Draft experts, industry insiders and numerous Draft-eligible players such as @Michael_Trout, @Eric_Arnett, @JacobMarisnick and @DrewStoren.
On Twitter, any posting utilizing the hashtag “#mlbdraft” will be displayed within the MLB.com Draft Caster live during the three-day event. Registered members of Twitter can also enter commentary to join the Draft conversation directly from the application.
The 2009 First-Year Player Draft will be held at MLB Network’s Studio 42 in Secaucus, NJ, beginning live on MLB Network and MLB.com at 6:00 p.m. (EDT) on June 9. Following the live broadcast of the first round, MLB.com will be the exclusive destination for every pick through the final round on June 11, streaming each of the nearly 1,500 selections live. Here are highlights of MLB.com’s content offerings:
- Up-to-the-minute reporting leading to the Draft’s first pick
- On-demand Draft recap video programs for all 30 Clubs
- Live video look-ins to Draft ‘war rooms’ of select Major League clubs
- Live audio-only simulcast of entire Draft
- Interviews with Hall of Famers, Club dignitaries and 2009 draftees
- More than 150 original stories, including behind-the-scenes perspectives from all 30 Clubs
- Enhanced video scouting reports for 100 of the top Draft-eligible prospects
- Scouting video for over 700 Draft-eligible players
- Complete history of the Draft, including full Draft listings dating back to 1965
- Photo galleries capturing the event
Source: MLB Advanced Media
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey. He is contributor to Baseball Prospectus, and is available as a freelance writer. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network.
Don't forget to register and log in on The Biz of Baseball site to get updates via your in-box, and see information only logged in members can see.
Follow Maury Brown and the Business of Sports Network on Twitter