MLB.com and MasterCard Worldwide unveiled today an online ticket savings program exclusively available at MLB.com/MasterCard. This program represents an extension of the Commissionerâ€™s Fan Initiative by bringing fans additional ticket price savings of 10 percent or more for select games in 2009 when they use their MasterCard card to purchase select tickets online at MLB.com and participating club websites.
Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig launched the Commissionerâ€™s Fan Initiative, including the Fan Value Corner on MLB.com, earlier this season to make fans aware of the affordable ticket and event promotions offered by the 30 Major League Clubs.
â€śMasterCard is a fan of the baseball fan,â€ť said Robert Steeger, VP, US Sponsorships, MasterCard Worldwide. â€śOffering discounts to Major League Baseball game tickets is another way for us to thank our cardholders for simply choosing to pay with their MasterCard cards.â€ť
â€śThe long-standing service MasterCard has given to baseball fans created the ideal collaborative opportunity for us to extend Commissioner Seligâ€™s commitment to making our games more affordable,â€ť said Bob Bowman, CEO, MLB.com.
Highlights of the MLB.com/MasterCard initiative include:
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Every Tuesday home game will feature $10 discounts off Baseline Reserved seats.
- Atlanta Braves: Beginning May 19, Golden Moon Casino Pavilion level tickets will be offered at a $10 discount for select home games.
- Boston Red Sox: Beginning June 5, select June and July home games will feature a 10% discount for Outfield Grandstand tickets.
- Chicago White Sox: Offering $10 savings off Upper Box and Upper Reserve seats for a select home game every month, beginning April 28 against Seattle Mariners.
- Cincinnati Reds: Offering half-price tickets for View Level seats at every Tuesday home game.
- Cleveland Indians: Every Tuesday home game and other select games will feature $10 discounts off Lower Reserved and Upper Box seats.
- Colorado Rockies: For every Value and Premium designated home game through May 31, there will be discounts of $8 and $10, respectively, for Pavilion, RF Mezzanine and Upper Reserved INF seats.
- Kansas City Royals: Select home games will feature $10 discounts off Field Box, Field Plaza, Outfield Box and View Level Infield tickets.
- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: Offering half-price tickets for Field Box, Terrace Box, Terrace Box WC and View MVP seats for a select home game every month.
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Every Tuesday home game will feature 15% discounts for Field Box and Infield Reserve seats.
- Milwaukee Brewers: Offering at $10 discount for Club Outfield seats at select Tuesday home games, and other select games this season.
- Oakland Athletics: Field level tickets for more than 30 select home games are available for $10 off the regular price.
- Philadelphia Phillies: Offering discounts of at least 50% on Pavilion Deck seats for select home games in July, August and September.
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Every Sunday-Thursday home game will feature a $10 discount off Outfield Box seats.
- St. Louis Cardinals: All weekday home games will feature a $10 discount off available individual tickets in all seating locations.
The Biz of Baseball notes that the Yankees and Mets are not listed within this program. Those organizations should see the results of latest Biz of Baseball poll question.
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey. He is contributor to Baseball Prospectus, and is available as a freelance writer. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network.
Don't forget to register and log in on The Biz of Baseball site to get updates via your in-box, and see information only logged in members can see.
Subscribe to The Biz of Baseball, and follow the Business of Sports Network on Twitter