Written by Maury Brown
Thursday, 13 March 2008 17:01
When the Mets open Citi Field next season (see renderings of Citi Field), look for an All Star game to be played there shortly thereafter. The Mets have made it known that they are interested in hosting the game, and the Commissioner’s Office has said they are looking to host there, as well.
With the Mets on the radar, when is the soonest date they could be playing there? Based upon comments made in the press, and dates already selected, the soonest the Mets could host the mid-summer classic would be 2013. Here’s why:
- The Yankees get this year’s ASG and send off the House that Ruth Built.
- 2009, the Busch Stadium III gets the nod.
- The Angels seem all but selected for 2010.
- The Diamondbacks have been mentioned for 2011.
- When Jackson Co. funding arrived for the renovations to Kaufmann Stadium, Selig mentioned an All-Star game there. That would place the Royals as hosting in 2012.
So, 2013 would seem to be the target date for the Mets. Predictions for the future? Certainly the Twins, Nationals, and Marlins should be high on the list given new stadiums in the offing.
Source: The AP, KC Star, Washington Post, AZ Republic, St. Louis Post Dispatch