Written by Maury Brown
Friday, 08 February 2008 07:17
The Cleveland Indians today announced the organization will induct two former Tribe greats into the Cleveland Indians Hall of Fame on Saturday, August 16 prior to the 3:55PM game vs. Los Angeles Angels at Progressive Field, highlighting the club’s Hall of Fame Heritage Weekend August 15-17.
The Class of 2008 entering the Cleveland Indians Hall of Fame includes: MGR/1B Mike Hargrove and MGR/2B Joe Gordon. Gordon’s induction this year, member of ’48 team, coincides with the 60th Anniversary of the Tribe’s last World Championship. This brings the total to 33 players inducted into the Indians Hall of Fame. Hargrove will attend the ceremony on August 16. Gordon will be honored posthumously.
1979-1985 – 1B
1991-1999 - MGR
Class of 2008
"The Human Rain Delay" spent 22 years in an Indians uniform as a player, coach and Manager. Batted .292 in 888 games over 7 years with Indians. Led AL with a .432 on-base percentage in '81. Best year in Cleveland was 1980 when he hit .304 with 11 homers, 86 runs and 85 RBI. Went 721-591 as Indians manager (1991-99), including 2 AL titles and 5 AL Central Division crowns. Hargrove ranks second all-time in club history in managerial wins behind Lou Boudreau (728), third in managerial winning percentage (.550) and is the only Indians Manager to guide the Tribe to two AL Pennants.
GROVER ON HOF INDUCTION:
"It really is neat and an honor. When the Indians told me, I was very excited. When I visited Heritage Park for the first time last summer, I said to myself ‘What a really neat place.' I remembered the feeling I got the first time I walked into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and I had the same feeling. And I thought, 'You know, someday, I'd like to be part of this. I wonder if that might ever happen? I didn't really give it another thought until the Indians called me. I got goosebumps all over."
1947-1950 – 2B
Class of 2008
An All-Star in first three of four Tribe seasons. Career highs of 32 homers and 128 RBI helped Indians to 1948 World Championship. Hit 100 of his 253 career homers with Indians. Before joining Indians was a six-time All-Star and 1942 MVP. Teamed with Lou Boudreau as one of baseball’s top SS-2B combinations of that era. Gordon managed the Indians from 1958-1960 (184-151), leading the Tribe to a second-place finish in 1959, before being traded by Frank Lane for Tigers Manager Jimmy Dykes in 1960 marking the only time in history managers were traded.
BOB FELLER ON GORDON:
"There's been legendary double-play combinations and they wrote a poem about the Cubs' Tinker to Evers to Chance," Indians Hall of Famer Bob Feller said. "For my money, Boudreau and Gordon were right there with any of them."
CLEVELAND INDIANS HALL OF FAME
The Cleveland Indians Hall of Fame was established in 1951 to recognize individuals who made a significant impact during their career with the Cleveland Indians. Inductees must have been active in an Indians uniform for at least three seasons and must be retired for one full year. Members of the Hall of Fame will be forever recognized in HERITAGE PARK located behind the center field wall.
CLEVELAND INDIANS HALL OF FAME MEMBERS (33)
- OF EARL AVERILL- Inducted 1951
- P JIM BAGBY, SR. – Inducted 2007
- SS LOU BOUDREAU- Inducted 1954
- 3B BILL BRADLEY- Inducted 1957
- SS RAY CHAPMAN- Inducted 2006
- P STAN COVELESKI- Inducted 1966
- OF ROCKY COLAVITO- Inducted 2006
- OF LARRY DOBY- Inducted 1966
- P BOB FELLER- Inducted 1957
- OF ELMER FLICK- Inducted 1963
- P MIKE GARCIA- Inducted 2007
- MGR/2B JOE GORDON- Inducted 2008
- P MEL HARDER- Inducted 1951
- MGR/1B MIKE HARGROVE- Inducted 2008
- CA JIM HEGAN- Inducted 1966
- OF JOE JACKSON- Inducted 1951
- P ADDIE JOSS- Inducted 2006
- 3B KEN KELTNER- Inducted 1951
- 2B NAP LAJOIE- Inducted 1951
- P BOB LEMON- Inducted 1960
- MGR. AL LOPEZ- Inducted 2006
- P SAM McDOWELL- Inducted 2006
- P CHARLES NAGY- Inducted 2007
- CA STEVE O’NEILL- Inducted 1951
- P SATCHEL PAIGE- Inducted 1965
- 3B AL ROSEN- Inducted 2006
- P HERB SCORE- Inducted 2006
- SS JOE SEWELL- Inducted 1951
- OF TRIS SPEAKER- Inducted 1951
- 1B/DH ANDRE THORNTON- Inducted 2007
- 1B HAL TROSKY- Inducted 1951
- P EARLY WYNN- Inducted 1972
- P CY YOUNG- Inducted 1951
Source: Cleveland Indians