Written by Maury Brown
Tuesday, 31 July 2007 01:11
The 2008 All-Star Game logo will be unveiled today at 3pm ET at Yankee Stadium, with a press conference to discuss the upcoming event.
The game will be part of Yankee Stadium's swan song as the historic House That Ruth Built will be torn down at the end of the 2008 season.
The announcement today will be made by:
- Hal Steinbrenner, Randy Levine, and Lonn Trost, New York Yankees
- Bob DuPuy, President & Chief Operating Officer, Major League Baseball
- Mayor’s Office Representative, City of New York
- Hall of Famer Yogi Berra
- Eight-time All-Star and Yankees captain Derek Jeter
- Two-time All-Star Hideki Matsui
- Four-time All-Star and Yankees pitching coach Ron Guidry
In related news, Ken Davidoff of Newsday reports that the "Steinbrenner structure" within the Yankees has begun to change:
Tampa insiders say Hank Steinbrenner has begun to peel off his commitment to his father's franchise, a repeat of what happened many years ago. Felix Lopez, who is married to Steinbrenner's daughter Jessica, has plowed through that hole like LaDainian Tomlinson.
Lopez sat in on Tuesday's meeting and has managed to involve himself in a potpourri of issues - from the plans for the new Yankee Stadium to the Yankees' ties to Latin America to the organization's Internet concerns. Jessica Steinbrenner now has a Legends Field office as well.
So if Hal Steinbrenner still is the Yankees' Man Who Would Be Boss, now that Steve Swindal is out of the picture, Lopez nonetheless has gained more power and access than many anticipated.