In a first for an MLB team and associated business, Fenway Sports Group (FSG) today announced that it is expanding its travel destinations program, Red Sox Destinations, to include a trip to the team's season-opening series in Tokyo, Japan, vs. the Oakland Athletics. The newly-created program will provide with a five-star, international VIP travel experience with the 2007 World Series Champions. Fenway Sports Group has been designated an Official Sports Travel Provider of Major League Baseball for this series.
The trip to Japan features great seats at three games at the Tokyo Dome. This includes an exhibition match-up against a team from the Nippon Professional Baseball League on March 23 and two MLB regular season games when the Red Sox leadoff the 2008 season against the Oakland Athletics on March 25 and 26.
"Red Sox Nation has a passionate relationship with the team and for years have traveled great distances to see the Red Sox compete," said Mike Dee, President, Fenway Sports Group. "Building on the success of the Red Sox Destinations domestic program, we decided to present our fans with the opportunity to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime international baseball experience."
Each travel package includes the following amenities:
- Roundtrip private charter airfare from Boston to Tokyo on a Japan Airlines 747 aircraft along with many Red Sox front office executives
- Four nights hotel accommodations at the team hotel, the luxurious New Otani Hotel in Tokyo
- Lower-level tickets to three games at the Tokyo Dome
- A private reception with select Red Sox players and personnel
- Ground transportation to and from all events
- Premium Red Sox travel bags and other merchandise
- Organized sight-seeing opportunities around Japan
- On-site 24/7 concierge services
- Commemorative photos and a digital archive CD
Standard Red Sox Destination packages to Japan start at $4,999 and are available now. Upgraded packages including business class seating on the charter flight, a suite at the hotel and premium game tickets are also available on a limited basis. For more information, visit redsox.com/redsoxdestinations, call (617) 226-6400 or e-mail
The Red Sox are the first professional sports team to offer this type of travel experience for its fans. This year, FSG has scheduled 18 VIP travel experiences during MLB's regular season including the excursion overseas.
The VIP packages provide guests with tickets to three MLB games, a ballpark tour, hotel accommodations, and a question-and-answer and autograph session with a Red Sox player. Since the inception of the program in 2006, more than 2,500 fans traveled on the road or to Fenway with Red Sox Destinations. In 2007, FSG brought clients to Arizona, Baltimore, Chicago, New York, San Diego and Texas.
Source: Fenway Sports Group